3.19.2010

Musical Influences- Jazz

Bookmark and Share


Here's the second installment about the artists that influenced my music, my career and even my childhood (growing up in New Orleans). These are the Jazz artists I promised with a quick note about what makes them noteworthy for me. Again, no introduction is needed for most of them so we'll let the music speak for itself, but I would love to here your thoughts on them. 



Dee Dee Bridgewater

Breathes new life and interest into even the most overdone jazz standards.




Nancy Wilson

One of my earliest influences, sings a song with all the drama and beauty of a well written romance novel. Highly stylish.




Al Jarreau


Jarreau is a band unto himself, his voice is  a perfect, extremely innovative musical instrument.





Oscar Brown Jr.


He brings r&b , jazz and even broadway together with fine storytelling and a voice that is one of a kind.






Carmen McRae

A knockout singer with a deadpan delivery.





Ella Fitzgerald


The picture next to the word "songbird" in the dictionary. 





Melba Moore


Harlem in the 50's at Minton's was the musical background of her childhood, and led her to become the remarkable singer that she is.





Louis Armstrong - Basin Street Blues - 1959


Well, Pops IS Jazz.





Rickie Lee Jones

I love her for her songwriting and the emotion delivered in her performances




Alberta Hunter -Black Shadows 1935 (very rare video)


A wonderful gracious entertainer ( I saw her act at the Cookery) and a superb songwriter.




Alberta Hunter - She had a comeback at age 83

At 83, she deserves a second video. Only hope I'm still going like this at that age

Listen LIVE on Saturdays @ 7PM EST

See all the Stormy choice videos on YouTube

Purchase Sybil's Music

Sybil Gage: NOLA Calling

Sybil Gage Performance Info

Great Ladies of Jazz CD

Jazz Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Followers