3.30.2010

Musical Influences- Soul

Bookmark and Share
This is the last of my three post on musical influences. Some of the artists here are truly influential to me, others are those I both admire and respect for their artistic talent.

I've got a good friend of mine that says that music is the only pure form of communication that there is. Hmmm, I wonder on that one, but also tend to agree. But let's hear some music.

Aretha Franklin - Don't Play That Song For Me
The first 45 I ever bought was "Respect." The rest is history.



Chaka Khan -Ain't Nobody 
Chaka brought a new soulful sound liberally sprinkled with funk and musical brilliance, which the world embraced.



Al Green - Tired Of Being Alone
Gospel tinged Soul that made me a believer!



Carol King (1971)
Her Quality (with a capital "Q") songwriting is an inspiration.


Janis Joplin - Summertime (Live Gröna Lund 1969)
Janis lived and believed everything she sang about.


Bobby Womack-That's The Way I Feel About Cha
Bobby Womack is THE Man. He is what Soul is about.



Michael Jackson - She's Out Of My Life
Michael was a prolific re-inventor of himself and a remarkable entertainer.


Stephanie Mills- I Feel Good All Over
Stephanie is a real singer with a lot of emotion and a talent that is under-recognized.


Sly And The Family Stone - Stand
My favorite Funk band. If I could choose another family, it would be the Family Stone.


Esther Phillips- And I Love Him
Phillips had a very unique voice and MUCH heart and soul; as John Lennon attests to in this video.

Listen LIVE on Saturdays @ 7PM EST

See all the Stormy choice videos on YouTube

Purchase Sybil's Music

Sybil Gage: NOLA Calling

Sybil Gage Performance Info

Great Ladies of Jazz CD

Jazz Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Followers